Recently you must have read or heard about Google collecting your data even though you are not
using them. You will be amazed at how they can collect your data without your knowledge. In this blog, I have shown how data is collected with a minimum lab setup.
1. I have installed a free Proxy server(JanaServer) on my laptop and started the server.
Link to download the software here.
Note: If the link is not working, Google “JanaServer server download”. And download from the website.
2. Go to the IP address section.
3. After clicking the IP address, you will be directed to the new page. Enter your laptop/System’s IP address there. In order to check your system’s/ laptop’s IP address. Open Command prompt-> Ipconfig->IPv4 address will be your IP address.
4. After setting the IP address go to the ports section. Set which port function you want and then click on submit.
5. Now Proxy server setup is done. To check the port number used by the functions, scroll down.
6. On your mobile:
a. Go to Settings->Wifi->On->Select wifi->And press the wifi name for a second.
b. It will give you options such as Forget network and Modify network.
c. Select modify network->select proxy->Enter your laptop’s IP address(192.168.225.62) and port number(3128) from server’s settings. Here 3128 is HTTP port.
d. Now save the settings.
e. Access the google.com or any other website to check whether your proxy is working or not.
f. Change the proxy port server to random and refresh the website. if its says problem occurred then your proxy setup is working fine.
g. Change the proxy port to the previous one.
7. After proxy server setup, I was browsing from 6.10PM-6.13PM.
8. And then I kept my phone idle from 6.14PM-6.21PM.
9. After a while, I went to the proxy server’s log file. In which log file will be created under “proxy.log” name.
10. After going through the log file, I got to know how much of my data was being collected by the apps that were installed on my mobile.
I have attached the “proxy.log” file. you can check it here Proxy_log.
Always disconnect wifi/data carrier on your mobile/tablets so that your data won’t be sent the application’s server you have installed.
Now you know how much data is being collected even though you have closed application.